Monday, January 20, 2014





Special Occasion Makeup for Mature Women

As we get older, sometimes we judge our own appearance too harshly.  It's unfortunate, because as we get older we have so much to offer.  We love more unconditionally, we have more patience; we can encourage, forgive, and believe in people like never before.  Time blesses us with wisdom.  We know life holds unlimited potential.  Sometimes things happen for a reason, and sometimes things can change.  We know we all have hidden strengths.

One of our strengths as mature women is we know it's important not to take things at face value, but to look deeper, because what's on the inside is what really matters.

It's so important to remember this when we look at ourselves in the mirror!  That's the moment of truth - when we step out of the shower or bath and see our reflection without a smidgen of makeup.  It's a humbling experience, but it can also be an opportunity to nurture ourselves and boost our self esteem.  We must treat ourselves in the same gentle, caring way we treat others.  We must speak to ourselves with words that are empowering and build our sense of self worth.

When it's time for special occasions, we want to look fabulous, and it may take a little more time and effort these days than it did when we were younger.  We can handle that.  Baby yourself with whatever moisturizing products you like and enjoy putting on your make up as you give yourself positive affirmations.  Say things like, "I love my smile, I love this color of lipstick, my eyes are twinkling!"

We are not competing with anybody.  We are not trying to be the coolest chick anymore.  We are trying to be warm and kind, and we want that to show on our face and in everything we do.  We are not going to neglect ourselves and let the years ravage our skin and walk around with no foundation or blush.  We're going to protect ourselves with all the new concoctions science has to offer, minimize the flaws and add color to give us the look and feel of vitality - but nothing is going to make us look like we're 20.  I don't know about you, but I never want to go there again, anyway.  That age had it's own struggles.

When I was in my early 30's I had a lovely hairdresser who was in her mid 50's.  When she cut my hair she worked very close to me, so of course I could see that she had crows feet and smile lines, worry lines, and what have you.  She was very pretty, but she was just a normal older lady in my young opinion.  One day I saw her away from her salon in a large, crowded room.  She was visiting with a group of friends in the front of of the room as I spotted her from where I stood in the back.  I didn't recognize her at first.  I thought, who is that gorgeous woman?  She was smiling and laughing and she had an absolute glow about her.  When I realized who it was, I learned an invaluable lesson.  It was not flawless skin that made her look so etherial.  It was the love she was sending out.  What she had in her heart was surrounding her with an aura of charm and grace that was absolutely alluring.

Special occasions are about celebrating the happy milestones in our lives.  If we want to look beautiful, we need to dress up and put our best face forward, but we also need to be in the moment, enjoy every second, and share the love that's inside of us.  What have been told all along is still true: beauty comes from within.


No comments:

Post a Comment